Monday, March 26, 2012

Speed Ride

This weekend called for a bit of moderation.  I was supposed to go up to Michigan for Barry-Roubaix, but my legs were still so tired from last week's major outings.   I also desperately needed to tend to several house chores and I just couldn't abandon the family and leave all that here for them to take care of.  The final nail in the coffin was the crummy weather expected up north. 

I snuck in a quick 20 miler to loosen the legs on Friday morning.  Then an hour of hill repeats on the SS for Saturday.  Then I joined the John Martin ride midday on Sunday and got stuck with the fast group.  Fortunately some of them had been "graveled" by Gorrilla the day before -- something insane like 125 miles with 8600' climbing.   So they took it easy on me.

It was my first outing on the road bike since last fall.  Man is that thing light and fast.  It is amazing how easy it is to sit in a group at 25mph ... all when I've been working hard to maintain 12 mph on the mountain bike trails.  We did some substantial climbing in our 56 mile ride -- all the short, steep, power climb typs.  And I hammered the hills hard to keep tempo with the group.  Major leg pain! 

Again, I emerge from the weekend totally spent.  This kind of riding is good for me as I've been doing mostly LSD all winter.  I can ride long, but I am slow.  So getting some speed in my can't be a bad thing in this last month leading up to the start of the NEU series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment