Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Camp Cohutta, Part 2

Today was my second major ride of the week.  It was a brilliant 78 degrees today, more like June than March.  Bright sun meant I needed sunscreen and lots of water, I was summer sweating. 

I took the day off from work, got the kids on the bus, and drove down to Lake Hope State Park.  I got started just after 10am and set off with already warm conditions.  I brought both the El Mariachi and the Superfly 100 today, but picked the El Mariachi and rode that all day long.  No regrets, it is a great bike and a super comfortable position.  The gearing is just perfect -- use the small ring for trail riding and steep climbing, the larger ring for fire road descents and gentle ups.  The front fork is decent, but doesn't have the magic feel of my more expensive Fox.  The bike feels firm, but not lightening carbon fast.  Still I spent a good chunk of the day in the saddle and wasn't needing to get off.

I rode lots of trails, more than I thought I would.  Sidewinder twice, Copperhead twice, Wild Cat, etc.  And some good fire roads too.   The trails were wet in a few spots which meant lots of mud, but mostly dry and fast.  The stats are 50 miles, 5000' climbing and 5 hours -- the five trifecta!   It was less than I thought, but it was still a good day.  The best part is that I felt strong all the way through.  Even in the end I felt like I had another few hours in me if necessary.  This is a very good sign for mid-March.  

The only downer of the day was a mechanical in the last few miles.  I was finishing up on the last bit of single track and picked up a sizeable stick in my rear deraileur.  I am pretty sure it is bent and the shifting is not working properly.  I ordered a new one and had it shipped 2-day express to State College -- hopefully it arrives on Friday and I am good to go again for Saturday.  I always have the Superfly as my B bike!  :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment