Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Paris Roubaix Prep

Watched Paris-Roubaix on tv this Sunday.  I was supposed to go out for 2 or 3 laps of Mohican (50 to 75 miles) but then got inspired to ride roughshod over crummy roads.  So I went out on the cross bike instead to complete numerous "sectors" of gravel goodness. 

Special thanks to my wife who allowed me to disappear for 8 hours on Easter Sunday.  Its a big ask.  I did have a very nasty week with no workouts for several days and I spent all day Saturday doing important husband and daddy things.

I aimed my bike due NNE and went for the nastiest gravelly messes I could find.  The highlight of the trip was a down-then-up of Stone Quarry and also an ascent of Bats Nest.   Both of these non-roads have been abandoned back to the ATVs, rain washouts and wilderness.  Certainly SQ is doable on a mountain bike, but it is a chore to clean on a skinny cross bike -- too many washout opportunities on off-campus drainage ditches.  Bats Nest is entirely rideable.  

Sorry no pictures.  I ended up with 96 miles, 6:45 on the clock, and 6500' of climbing.  I'll note that NONE of my small town service stores were open (Easter Sunday?) and so I was short on water and food.  And there was a nasty 20 mph wind out of the west that made the going rather rough ... probably cost me an hour of ride time.   But I did the ride three weeks out from Cohutta and feel like I'm ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment