Sunday, April 15, 2012

Confirmation Day

A very good ride today.  We did the John Martin ride which totaled 66 miles and 4900' climbing.  The route started from the Newark Y (8 extra miles for me) and climbed the length of Blue Jay.  Then down 668 and hitting hill after hill enroute to Somerset.  The way back was slightly less hilly but we still had to negotiate 757 and Fairmont.

I was a little late leaving the house and thus missed the group send off by 10 minutes.  I caught the B group on the first big climb on Blue Jay.  They were going to be slow so I went through them and continued on.  They said the A group was well ahead so I figured I'd be going solo for most of it.  I actually caught the A group (it was really the A- group as most of the fasties were with Gorrilla up north) at the top of Flint Ridge.  We rode together down to Somerset.  The group was initially keeping a good pace but the relentless hills were obviously wearing on the group.  So I bid them adieu at Somerset and rode home solo.  I really gassed it hard with a favorable tailwind from the south.

I know I went harder than my target effort for Cohutta.  But I rode 65 miles, 4 hours and lots of hills with a solid hard effort.   And I wasn't totally spent at the end.  I think I'll be good in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment