Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mohican Sized Smiles

Every once in a while all the cycling gods come together and bless a riding day.  This was such a day.  Yeah it was a windy, mid-November day, but the temps were higher than normal and nearly perfect (45 to 55).  Plus the hills and trees made the wind a non-factor.  

I've been neglecting the GF superfly 100 since the W101 in late July, so I thought I would give the bike some love and take it to Mohican.   Even the drive went by quickly as I arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule. In the parking lot were five guys from the Cleveland area and they looked the part of good mtn bikers.  So I asked if I could tag along with their group.  It was a good decision as their skill level was just about right for a "fun but not killer" effort.  We set out at "3-hour" pace with some frequent stops scattered in to let one or two guys catch back on.  
I admit it, I stole this pic from someone else.
Normally 3-hour pace is pretty fast for me, so I was wary about trying to hang with them.  And I feel like my fitness level is pretty low compared to earlier in the summer.  But as I was riding the pace seemed much more relaxed than what I was used to for a 3-hour loop.   My confidence was growing with each climb and fluid descent.  I was starting to get in the zone.  

We hit the bridge at Mile 11.5 in about 1:17.  It felt more like 1:50 or something, so I was surprised we were there so quickly.  When we stopped for what was likely 5-10 minutes of catch up and rest time, I thanked them for the company and pressed on alone.

Then I dialed it up.  I started working the climbs hard, not quite hammering, but definitely pushing myself in the red zone.  And I was finding loads of magic zen on the flowy single track.  Carving, flowing, climbing, catching air on the jumps.  It was lots of fun.

I killed it for the next hour and dropped back into the parking lot with 2:21 showing on the clock.  My fastest time ever and I still felt great --- like I could go on at that pace for quite a bit more.  I figure I could have made 5 or 10 minutes less time in the first loop if I had gone on my own, but I can't complain.

Then I had a tough decision.  To call it a day and end on a high note with a big smile, or go for another partial loop.  Surely I could have had more good riding but I also would have eventually hit the wall and slowed.  I decided to call it there and keep the awesome ride as a fond memory.  Besides, Laura, the kids and the puppy were all at home waiting for me.  

Did I ever mention the SF100 is just plain awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment