Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gravel in Fall Sunshine

We were blessed with a warm, sunny late autumn day, and there is only one way to proper honor a day like this, head out on the bike for an adventure.   It was just warm enough for a long sleeve jersey, shorts, light weight full fingered gloves, and regular cycling shoes.  Laura graciously gave me five hours on this Sunday afternoon to go play, and I took advantage of it.  Jumped in the car to drive 20 miles East (save myself an hour of bikepath slogging each way) so I could get to the good stuff that much faster.  

I took the cross bike out today.  I haven't ridden this bike much in the last 9 months, preferring instead to explore all summer on the Karate Monkey single speed.  But the gravel and the climbs urged me to get reacquainted with the cross bike.  Besides, this will become my winter training tool (along with the new mukluk) so I need to get used to the flatter position again.  


After a few pavement climbs, I snuck back on to Smith Chapel which winds up a small valley between two Ohio ridges.   A right turn on to Patton keeps to the gradual valley climb instead of the ridge ascents to the left and right.  

I then endure the incessant ups and downs of Pinewood trails.  It is a real leg burner, great for hill climbing strength, but you have to be wary of burning yourself out too early in a long ride on this road.   The heart rate monitor allowed me to climb in a comfort zone and save the real gas for later in the ride.





In Perryton,  I climb out of the valley hamlet on Myrtle -- great name and a narrow, barely paved farm path.

I was intent on exploring more in the area East of Licking Valley Rd.  I don't often get out in this area and there are more remote roads to explore further.

One of my great finds of the day is a new-to-me road, Church Rd.  There are dozens of roads named after churches in this area, but all of them have some other name other than just church.  So this is a bit of a novelty.  This road ran relatively flat North along a creek valley and I had to ignore delicious climbs to the ridge running along the right side of the road.

A great road that is usually just out of range is McCament Rd.   By starting my ride 20 miles east of home, I was able to put this route on my agenda.  I discovered this road on a motorcycle romp about five years ago, and now, have finally gotten to ride a bike out here.  It is a lovely road, scampering through gaps between the ridges until the flat realestate is corralled by valley walls all around.  It gives up the ghost and has to climb straight out of a valley over the ridge line.  Gravel goodness for several, uninterrupted miles and beautiful, quiet scenery.














More McCament images.
















I came back south along Aspen and would have enjoyed it more if not for the legs starting to go ... mostly on low energy.  Aspen is one of those roads that looks flatter than it really is.  It does roll up and down, but those are bigger and steeper rollers than what seems at first glance.









But as the road enters Licking County, and switches names from Aspen to Rock Run Rd, it becomes one of the most beautiful spots in all of central Ohio.  The way the narrow lane cuts through the old growth forest, the light beams stream through gaps in the trees and filters across the road,  the road falls down a gulch line toward the large stream at the bottom, it almost seems like hallowed cycling ground!



 And there is the stately covered bridge at the base of the descent ... for gravel dessert!
 

With low energy threatening to sap the enjoyment from my ride, I detoured to Fallsburg Pizza for a quick snack stop.  Then a couple of more climbs and another of my favorite gravely ways ... Priest Hollow.   What a cool name for a road.

All told, 55 miles, 4600ft vertical, and 14.6 mph.  I also got a nice treat on Saturday as Laura agreed to join me on her cross bike for a brief 90 minute spin through the northern countryside.   Thanks Laura!

John had just gotten back in town from a trip to Austin, TX.  He told tales of awesome, high desert single track.  I'll have to check it out sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment