Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cohutta Prep, Two Days Out

I feel like a giddy 7 year-old with xmas two days away.  Cohutta is on Saturday.  Today is packing day.  I am a list maker by nature so I have about a half dozen packing lists (things on the bike, things in the pack, things in the car, things in the toolbox, things in the drop bag ... you get the idea).   I ***think*** that I have it all packed in the car or in my last remaining suitcase; famous last words.   And at the end of the day, I really just need to get on the bike and go.

The weather looks perfect.  Sunny today, tomorrow and Saturday.  So the course should dry out nicely.  That area was in the swath of tornados that swept through there yesterday.  I have visions of some guy spending the better part of a day toting a chainsaw through the single track to clear fallen trees.

JG converted my bike to tubeless 10 days ago.  I've had to fiddle with things a little (an extra ounce of sealant, replace a bent presta core) but things are dialed in now and the tires are hardly leaking any air.  I did a shakedown ride on Monday night ... dropping down stairs, launching off a wall, smacking up a big wall, etc.  I couldn't get the tires to unseat so I am pretty sure they'll stick during the race.  I'll be packing extra tubes as a backup.

Tuesday I did 10x hill repeats on Mt. Parnasus (did I mention how much I like my KM SS).  Last night I did a light lifting session and then spun for 30 minutes on the trainer.  Today I did a little commuting, just to keep the legs fresh but warmed up.  I haven't managed to lose quite as much winter heft as I planned, but otherwise my training has been smooth and on target.   Mostly I just want to have fun kicking butt on the big mountain climbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment