Friday, April 1, 2011

Another Tough One

Did 88 miles today heading NE out of town. Lots of it was flat bike path miles, but I also did a nice foray into dirt roads that criss cross the hills and frame the valleys. The temps were a bit nicer today (45ish) but the forecasters got the wind speed very wrong. They called for 7mph winds all afternoon but instead I suffered through 2.5 hours of pushing into 20mph steady headwinds.  It was miserable. I must admit that I don't have any desire to get back on a bike any time soon. Everyone long ride I've had this year has been super windy, freezing cold and/or raining. I know, I know, this adds to "mental strength". But I also have to balance this with my desire to keep things fun, and fun this wasn't.

When you are pedaling your own two wheels, it forces you to engage in the landscape in ways very different than in a car or even on a motorcycle. You become so much more attuned to the geographical shape and layout of the landscape. Obviously, because you are acutely aware every time the road aims upward. I've noticed that the big state routes generally follow valleys. The little roads generally criss cross hills ... big uns. And you can usually do a good job of guessing ahead of time which ones are paved and which ones are gravel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment