Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Outing

After working most of the weekend, I was finally ready to spend some quality time on Sunday to get a long, quiet ride in.   I was planning a solo trip along the gently rolling, country roads.  A few minutes before I head out, my friend J.G. calls me and tells me some of the local fast guys are riding at 11am.  I am always conflicted about riding with these guys.  Most of them are in better shape than me and so I have to really gas it the whole way to stay with them, especially in midwinter when I am riding 1/4 their mileage.   That and I don't have my winter pedals on my road bike (which are compatible with my spd winter boots) so it is the cross bike.   It should have been a pretty simple decision.  Don't show up to a road ride with faster guys, who are in better shape than you on your cross bike.  So I went with them anyway.

I stayed with them for about 25 of the 35 miles; for most of them I was pegged at my redline.   Pretty good considering the circumstances.  They had to slow down in two places to let me catch back on, but I survived.  About 7 miles from home, I cross Lafayette Rd -- a local dirt/gravel hillfest that is now packed with firm snow.  So I thank the group for keeping me on the back, peel off and head down the back road to catch my breadth and wind down.

It was a lovely way to end a hard, fast ride.  Lafayette always puts a smile on my face and this time was no different.  The surface was winter-perfect with packed snow and a strip of exposed dirt.  I could suit my fancy by choosing any number of lines.   There is something that just feels right about riding a cross bike on wintery, snowy, dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment