Friday, October 26, 2018

Every Single Time

It gets me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!   You would think I would be accustomed to riding in the wind by now ... some 10+ years into my "serious" cycling career, and more than 35 years as a regular rider. 

Yesterday I went out on a moderate 3 to 4 hour ride.  I had to go to the Trek Store in Westerville to pick up some new XT pedals I had ordered.  Figured I would ride over -- you know, combine the workout with the errand.   I diligently checked the forecast before I left and saw there was a 7mph wind coming from the ESE.  The direction was a little unusual for us, and 7mph is no biggie.  

I start riding West towards Cbus and I am flying.  I feel like a million bucks.  I am sure I am pro-cycling material, just waiting to be discovered.   A little voice in the back of my head was shouting out, "Hey, its just the tailwind, stupid!  You're not really this fast".   I was consistently hitting 18mph heading uphill and 22mph heading down.   All on my Fargo, a drop bar 29er mountain bike with 2.2 inch tires.  JRA -- nothing really serious.  No hard tempo effort.  Just enjoying the brisk fall day.  And despite that voice of reason in my head, I just couldn't manage to shake the feeling that I am really good at this cycling thing. 

Then, of course, I headed back home.  The return trip into the wind.  I had hoped that the wind would shift back to its usual west direction.  It didn't.   I had hoped that the wind would die down with the setting sun.  It didn't.   There I was with my heart rate sailing into the stratosphere and my average speed tumbling off a cliff, trying desperately to push a bike-sized hole into the headwind.  It was tough.  Character building tough.   No more easy-peasy 20mph.   Tough slog at 15mph. 

You'd think that I would have figured out this wind thing by now.  I guess not.   Maybe I need more practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment