Monday, April 8, 2013

Beautiful Day

Spring is here!   Yahoo.  About 6 weeks late, but it has arrived.  We had temps in the upper 60s on both Saturday and Sunday.  No rain!  No snow!  No freezing 24 deg starts.  Things will be getting green soon.

Five of us went to Mohican on Saturday afternoon.  This is after spending 2 hours cutting trails at Lobdell earlier that morning.  We started at a cabin of a guy named Glenn, just outside of Loudonville.  Nice place.  We entered the trail at Mile 9 and quickly settled in a good pace.  The trail was in awesome shape.   I pushed it hard on the big climb at Mile 12 and burned my legs a bit; I wasn't fully warmed up.   We took turns leading for the next 10 miles or so.  Glenn did a stint that was respectable and then Todd got up front on his rigid single and did a nice fast stretch.  Once he clipped a tree and came to an abrupt stop.  I had to grab my brakes hard to avoid crashing in to him and I ended up flipping over the bars and depositing myself on the forest floor.  A few bruises, but not too bad.

Once we got back to the "start" I went up front and really lit it up.  I was feeling good.  Dispatched the starting climb and crushed the climb at Mile 7.  In between I was rocking it, fast, uphill, through trees, etc.  It was glorious.  I did a lap time of 2:07, my fastest ever and I felt like I could have dropped several more minutes if I had gone off the front sooner.  Midseason form!

Yesterday I went out on the Karate Monkey for a light spin.  It turned in to a bit more than that, but my legs felt good.   I hope to get my fatbike wheel and derailleur back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment