Sunday, March 10, 2013

Finally ... a Nice Day!

We've been below average temps for five straight weeks.  Maybe just a day or two squeaking above average but they have all been rainy and then a cold front moves in immediately afterward to drop the temps 15 degrees below normal.  Today, we've finally had an above average day ... with sun.

Yesterday was 50 and today it reached 60 or so.  Yes, both were windy days but hey, sun and warm and no snow!

I went out late yesterday afternoon for a hard 31 mile ride of hilly gravel.  Really pounded the pedals and paid the price with tired, sore legs.  Today (Sunday) I went out for a longer spin.  The stiff wind from the south made the progress down toward Lancaster very painful.  I turned away from the wind about 6 miles short of Lancaster and then sped home with a nice tail wind.  I averaged 16.2 mph on mostly rolling roads with a few big climbs at the end on Canyon.

Three hours seems like a long time on the bike right now.  I've got about seven weeks to go before I hit my first NUE race in GA.  So I'll need to add mileage quickly.  But I can only take what the body is willing to give.

This is my spring break week so I'll try to ride nearly every day.  I'm planning on a road trip to State College at the end of the week.  Last year we had temps in the 70s.  This week it is forecast for temps in the upper 30s or lower 40s.  Cold!  The mountain roads may still be iced over so I may have to stick to paved roads.  My goal for the week is to be consistent and push myself but not get injured.



No comments:

Post a Comment