Thursday, May 3, 2012

Post Race Planning

After Cohutta, I've had some time to reflect on my performance and plan for the next.   My training has consisted primarily of LSD -- a long ride each weekend with as many hills mixed in as possible.  This training has allowed me to finish a 100 mile race and not blow up half way through.  But I want to go faster and I don't think this kind of training will allow that.

Back when I was marathon running, I had four staple workouts each week: the Sunday long run, a short interval workout, a long interval workout, and a long tempo effort.   In my bicycle training, I am basically only doing the long part.  I think (I know) that the faster efforts were critical for my marathon success because they made race pace seem easier.  I need to add intervals to my cycling regiment.  

I will try to mix in at least two workouts that fall in the later three categories: short intervals, hill repeats, long intervals, and tempo efforts.  I need more cycling time at high speed so that race pace feels easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment