Saturday, February 4, 2012

February Century

Finally I got a break in the weather and I took full advantage of it.  I had already put in for a day off from work (supposed to be a ski weekend ... but no snow), so I decided to keep it work-free and set off on a long adventure.

I mapped out a route that went north via Mount Vernon, through Fredricksburg, and on to Bellville.  After refueling for lunch in Bellville, I followed the rail-trail to Butler, a long slog south to Gambier, then Martinsburg, St Louisville and home.  My weapon of choice was the cross bike, not anticipating any gravel, still there were roads that I hadn't been on before and the cross bike allows me to explore unexpected mud and gravel without worry.  RidewithGPS showed the route to be 104 miles with 4500 ft climbing.  
I set off at 9am with temps still a bit chilly, 30 degrees at the start with a hard frost on the ground.  There was a nice 5-7 mph wind out of the south which help blow me all the way up to Bellville.  I made good time even though I tried hard to keep my heart rate in a low zone.  Legs felt good and energy remained high for the 3 hours up to Bellville.  The roads between here and there were mostly gently rolling, with some flatter, faster sections.  I jumped in to a local pizzeria shortly after noon and didn't mind the 15 minute wait to get my personal pizza.  Temps were rising in to the mid 40s now, sunny skies.

Once I turned back, I notice how much the wind was blowing.  I followed 5 miles of paved rail trail to Butler and then headed out into hilly country.  The hills were larger, steeper, and unrelenting.  I faced a stiffer headwind down in to Gambier ... it seemed never to come.  I finally rolled in to main street Gambier, now about 20 minutes behind schedule, more tired and hungrier.  I grabbed a drink and crackers from the local mart and watched the Kenyon students lounging about.  Most were smoking and trying to look James Dean cool.  I was too tired to care.  This was the hard part, mile 74 and a lot more hills to come.  At least the wind was dying down now so I was only fighting gravity and not a headwind also.   But this hard part is why I need a long ride.  To be tired and know there is still much hard work ahead but not give up or back down.

Just before rolling in to Martinsburg, Rick gave me a buzz.  He was thinking of joining me earlier in the day for a large part of the ride, but instead choose to catch up with me later in the afternoon for my return leg.  He was heading up to Martinsburg follwing my return route backwards, we rendezvoused in downtown.  It was a great help having him along, I grabbed his wheel and the speed increased notably.   It was nice now having to concentrate working harder to stay with him, even though I was pressing harder than I wanted.  I managed a good show until we hit the steeper parts of Welsh Hills Rd.  After 94 miles, my legs were mostly blown and I puttered up those hills pretty slowly.  

In the end I logged 99.87 miles - I didn't feel compelled to ride down the block to make it 100.  I also recorded 5700 feet of climbing ... more than my route anticipated.  And all in 6:20 for good time.  Considering I've only ridden 70 miles once this year and nothing much in the last three weeks, I did much better than expected.  I was dead tired but not completely blown away.  Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment