Sunday, October 9, 2011

AEP Adventure Ride

This Saturday I took my new fatbike out for an adventure.  Two years ago, I had visited the AEP Recreation Land on my motorcycle and have always wanted to go back.  The area is a reclaimed strip mine .  It is amazing to think what happened in this area not too long ago.


The "Big Muskie", a single ginormous shovel, moved more than twice the material in this part of Ohio than was moved in the entire Panama Canal.  I believe the bucket, which is large enough to hold a two-story house, is still on display.  It is hard to imagine what this area was like during the heyday of mining.  It must have been an abomination and the world truly looked like it was coming to an end.  

Now it seems beautiful, but also not quite real.  It definitely does not feel like Ohio, something just seems out of place.  But if definitely is beautiful and an enjoyable area to ride through.



The area looks more like a savannah with wide open areas of grasslands.  I can't quite figure it out.  Maybe they mow it?  The grass wasn't that high.  Or maybe the soil is so mineral-poor that things just don't grow well?  I had a few moments of cutting across the prairie and the soil underneath was often very gravelly.


Lots of the area is typical gravel and dirt roads.  When it is dry, like it was yesterday, the going is quite pleasant.  I can imagine it gets pretty messy when it is wet.  Some of the area had double-track from old roads that are growing back into the prairie.  There were some areas where "bushwacking" was necessary.


My new fatbike was a real joy.  It is definitely a different frame of mind.  This is not a fast bike, and if you need to go fast, get something else.  It can go if you pedal it - I did maintain 15-20 mph on the pavement.  But going uphill it is slow.  It is a 34lbs bike afterall with very wide tires.  They worked great on the dirt and gravel.  And were perfect for the few cross-prarie moments.  There we just a few wet spots with a marshy feel; the Mukluk went right on through without problem.


But at the end of the day, there is no denying that a cross bike or a fast (rigid) mountain bike would be the perfect tool for the job here.  Fatbike was ok, but if I went with a group, I'd have to be in better shape or they'd have to be patient.

On this beautiful fall day, the area was full of outdoors people.  Hunters, campers, fishermen, and 4x4 types.  I'm glad lots of folks are out using the area.  I wonder what it is like in winter.




Here is a movie of the whole adventure:




No comments:

Post a Comment