Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mount Vernon Adventure Ride


After losing another Saturday to work, I was eager to recharge my spiritual batteries in the saddle on Sunday.  I decided to take the SS Karate Monkey out -- I just can't seem to get enough of that bike.  Commuting, grocery store runs, road rides with the more sedate crowd, and adventure rides.  This bike seems happy to do it all.

This was definitely a stop-and-smell-the-roses kind of ride.  I wasn't in a hurry and had no real agenda.  I had a 104 mile route mapped out, but then decided to do more putzin and explorin rather than making time on a long century.  I took a handful of photos and quite a bit of video footage.  I forgot my Go Pro so I had to use the cell phone.

I had to stop early and take this picture.  I think the color and texture both caught my eye.  Maybe it was this picture which set the tone for a leisurely ride.  

I discovered a great series of dirt backroads near Mount Vernon.  I had a great time exploring.  The dampness from the last few days helped keep the road firm and dust free.   Just on the outskirts of town, I  encountered the "Heart of Ohio" Trail.  I didn't know that it extended West of Mount Vernon.  This is part of the larger Rails to Trails effort to connect Cleveland with Cincinnati.  This particular part exists as an overgrown foot path.  Turns out the Karate Monkey was right at home.   Apparently the trail goes all the way to Centerberg.  I'll go back later to scope the whole thing, maybe on a snow day!

After a lunch stop in Mount Vernon, I hit the Kokosing Gap Trail for a short ways.  Got bored and split off for the hills.  And hills they were, lots  of them.  Gave me a good workout on the 34x17 stock gearing.  I made a vimeo video of the day's excursions.  Check it out here.


Mt Vernon Adventure Ride from Matt Kretchmar on Vimeo.





No comments:

Post a Comment