Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Some Fun Riding

I had been so busy prepping for Cohutta, that I wanted to make sure I have some fun cycling time now.  This weekend, my son and I did a big ride.  He just turned 6 but has been riding for over 2 years now.  We rode 17 miles round trip to Target and back.  It took us almost 3 hours counting stops at Target, Walmart and McDonald's for lunch.   He was a real trooper, though the distance did wear on him near the end.   It was fun teaching him that big shopping trips can be done by bicycle with a little planning --- you don't need to jump in the car to head across town.   It built his confidence knowing he can ride a long ways too.

Later that day I went out with Laura for our first ride together since last fall.  The weather's been so lousy that she just hasn't wanted to ride much this year.  I took my SS mountain bike and she took her cross bike; we headed out for rolling/hilly gravel.   I was surprisingly quick on that bike.  I could easily hold 16mph on the flats, I could tuck in behind her and draft at 20-22, and I found that I was climbing a whole lot faster -- she just didn't have her climbing legs after having been off the bike all winter.   We finished our ride with a spin on the bike path.  All was well until I picked up a mondo thorn and flatted.  I had no change kit and so I walked for a while until Laura finished the ride and came back to pick me up in the car.  Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment