Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Karate Monkey Nirvana

The cold rainy drizzle of all day yesterday vacated our area around 2pm today, the sun popped out, things warmed up and dried out quickly.  And I got out on my new Surly Karate Monkey with my son, Eli.  It is loads of fun.  Pretty much what everyone says -- it is not super light but hides its weight well and rolls nicely.  The large bars give good climbing leverage.   It feels like a tank in that it just keeps moving forward regardless of what is in front of it.  I can tell there are millions of smiles to come.   Tomorrow morning I will try to climb the big hill to work with the 34x17 to see just how bad it is.  I notice it  is faster than my 26" faux SS that I've been using all winter, so it is definitely a higher gear.  But the extra leverage of the bar might allow me to still scamper up the hill.

Oh and I got 54 miles in with T.F. on the cross bike.  A nice ride today with pushing a stiff headwind on the way out and an easier spin on the way back.  Now two days of "rest" so I am ready for the Gravel Rouser race on Saturday.  The weather looks very promising.   I'll probably take the Superfly out tomorrow for a quick spin to make sure all is right.  But I've been throwing some TLC at it, so all should be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment